To view a more accessible version of this website press control m
SCRC Behind the Scenes

“Aha!” Moment in the Archives

November 11th, 2011 by Nicole Dittrich

by Amber Moore, Safire Project Archivist

“Wow, I can’t believe that I am actually holding a signed copy of Booker T. Washington’s Up From Slavery; he actually held this book in his hand!”

I remember thinking this as I examined the black signature on the third page of Washington’s 1901 book.  I looked around for someone to share my excitement but no other students were sitting in the Special Collections at Emory University.  It was at this point that I realized I wanted to become an archivist.

Archivists hold history in our hands.  We are primarily responsible for maintaining and preserving records of individuals, groups and institutions.  I think the most appealing aspect of the profession is the ability to safeguard that which has survived throughout the generations.  As an archivist, I help ensure that history lives and thrives! 

Here at the Special Collections Research Center, I am the William Safire Project Archivist where I am responsible for arranging and describing the papers of author, columnist, journalist, and speechwriter William Safire.  I am having a wonderful time exploring Safire’s remarkable literary and political contributions.

Check back for updates about the processing of the papers as well as interesting finds from the collection!

___________________________________________________
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • email
  • StumbleUpon
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • BlinkList
  • More

Tags: , , ,

3 Responses to ““Aha!” Moment in the Archives”

1. Michele Combs Says:

I love hearing how people got seduced into this career :)

2. Jerry Morris Says:

Love the blog post. Definitely an “aha” moment. I’m jealous.

3. Deb Schiff Says:

As a fellow archivist, I’m always cheered when we use blogs and other means to express our fondness for our profession. You do an excellent job of talking about why we do what we do. Thanks for posting!